Monday, April 25, 2011

Easter Brunch: Zucchini-Potato Frittata

Today, I want to welcome another wonderful new guest blogger, Beth! Beth is another one of my college roomates who taught me many new tricks in the kitchen. She left us for the great Pacific Northwest where she is able to eat a lot of local, organic foods.  She makes a lot of vegan or vegetarian dishes but manages to maintain all the flavor! Since I posted my Passover recipes, I'm glad I could have Beth post an Easter recipe as well!  I hope you all enjoy her vegetarian frittata! (and I'm going to enjoy actually getting to see her this weekend while she visits the East Coast, which makes me so happy!!)



Hello yelleBELLYboo readers! I'm so excited to contribute to Dani's wonderful blog. Easter brunch is definitely one of my favorite meals of the year. And even thought I was unable to spend this Easter with family, it didn't stop me from enjoying a great brunch!

Overall, this meal was pretty easy and very tasty. The main dish was a Zucchini-Potato Frittata.



I love the aroma that fills the kitchen when cooking onions and potatoes, yumm. Be sure to flip the potatoes occasionally and cook them until they are soft, this took me longer than the 20 minutes suggested in the recipe.


Salting the zucchini and letting them set in a colander for about 30 minutes before cooking prevents the final product from being too watery, definitely a must.



I made a few changes to the recipe, and one of them was doubling the zucchini and omitting the bacon. I wanted to roll with a vegetable frittata, so the bacon was served on the side. Next time, I will add some sun-dried tomatoes during this step. It will complement the other vegetables well and give the dish more color.


Combine all cooked vegetables with the beaten eggs and cheese in a medium bowl, then pour mixture into the warm skillet. I went with feta, but any cheese would be great (the original recipe called for cheddar). Make sure the skillet you use oven-safe, because after the bottom is set (~10 minutes) you pop this in the oven for another 5-10 minutes so that the top can set. And then you can enjoy this egg-cellent (ha) dish!


I paired this with the Easy Peasy Whole Wheat Bread recipe that Dani posted a while back and a simple fruit salad. All in all, a very satisfying Easter brunch.

Zucchini-Potato Frittata
adapted from goodLife {eats}

Ingredients:
2 medium zucchini, sliced
salt
4-5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 lbs. golden potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 large onion, thinly sliced
6 eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 c crumbled feta

Instructions
Combine the zucchini and 1 teaspoon salt in a colander and toss well. Set aside to drain for 30 minutes. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat in a large, well-seasoned cast-iron skillet or ovenproof nonstick skillet. Add the potatoes and onion, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook, flipping and stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are soft.

Increase the heat to medium-high and continue cooking, tossing occasionally, until the potatoes are are brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the potatoes but keep the skillet on the burner. Transfer the zucchini to a clean kitchen towel and pat dry. Add the zucchini to the skillet and saute over medium-high heat, until the zucchini is just tender, about 4 minutes. Remove the zucchini.

Keep the skillet over the heat. Beat the eggs and pepper to taste in a medium bowl until well blended. Fold in the potatoes, zucchini, and cheese. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of the remaining oil to the skillet as needed to lightly coat the bottom. Pour in the egg mixture, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook without stirring until the bottom is set, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the top is set, 5 to 15 minutes, checking every 5 minutes. Place a serving plate on top of the skillet and carefully invert. The frittata should fall out of the pan. Cut into wedges and serve.

1 comment:

Karen Liffmann said...

Looks wonderful, Beth!