Monday, April 18, 2011

Coconut Lime White Chocolate Macaroons

I decided this year to host Passover at my apartment.  I invited most of my good friends (some Jewish, some not) and figured most of them would say no and maybe a few would come for dinner.  I was totally wrong and ended up having 22 people over!



Being my mother's daughter, I was so afraid I wouldn't have enough food.  I made this recipe before I realized how many people were coming over - I doubled it but I probably would have made 4 times this many had I realized.  Fortunately, a friend brought more macaroons over.

Keep in mind, when making macaroons for Passover, that some brands have HFCS in them.  I don't like to buy HFCS anyways, but corn isn't kosher for Passover if you're Ashkenazi so you really need to pay attention this time of year.  Fortunately, this brand (which you can usually find in the Latino section of the market) has all natural ingredients, and no corn!

The minute I saw this recipe, I was drawn to it.  Coconut? Lime? WHITE CHOCOLATE? Some of my favorite ingredients.  Of course, I missed a step (it wasn't a good baking day) and so the picture above and below are missing the egg whites.  I added them back in at the end, which I don't recommend but it did work.


Overall, really easy to make!  You basically just combine all of the ingredient and make little mounds of the coconut mixture.  1 bowl for easy clean up!


I would make the mounds a little smaller than I did.  The recipe says 2 tbsp, but I think you can go smaller than that.  Also, I just drizzled them with white chocolate at the end instead of dipping.  However, the recipe below is just as it was written on two peas and their pod.  Lots more Passover recipes to come in the next week!


Coconut Lime White Chocolate Macaroons
from two peas and their pod


Ingredients
2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 large egg white
1½ teaspoons vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
3½ cups sweetened coconut
10 ounces white chocolate, chopped
Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, egg white, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir until combined. Add in the coconut and mix well.
3. With a spoon, scoop up about 2 Tablespoons of the coconut mixture and form into mounds that have a slight peak at the top. Place on lined baking sheets, about two inches apart. Bake cookies one sheet at a time for 15 to 2o minutes, or until cookies are set and slightly golden brown.
4. Cool the cookies on the baking sheets for about 5 minutes. Remove with a spatula onto a cooling rack.
5. Melt chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Make sure you keep stirring the chocolate every 20 seconds or so until chocolate is melted and smooth.
6. Lay out a large piece of wax paper. Dip the cookies into the chocolate-just so the bottoms are covered in chocolate. Set dipped cookies on the paper to dry. Drizzle macaroons with white chocolate and let dry completely.
Makes 18 macaroons

1 comment:

Karen Liffmann said...

OMG!!!!!!
I'm salivating!!
Missed you last night at our Seder. Had some good laughs.
Your Seder sounds fantastic.