Friday, April 8, 2011

Blueberry Oat Crumbles


I have to admit, the only way to make a good meal a great meal is to finish it with dessert.  When I made the delicious Turkey and Artichoke Stuffed Peppers, I wanted to have a dessert that I could finish preparing right after work and let cool while I made dinner.


When Jessica posted this blueberry oat crumble recipe, I was sold.  It's like a blueberry cobbler with mostly the top part.  And everyone knows, the top part is the best part!!


I had been having trouble finding whole wheat pastry flour in my local supermarket (and when I did it was like $8/lb), so I ordered it from Nuts Online, the same site where my coworker ordered my poppy seeds. The prices are reasonable and the quality was high!


I have to admit, for the weight conscious, that despite the fruit component, this is not a healthy dish.  It has over half a stick of butter in it!  


And for the less-weight conscious/believers in exercising only to allow you to eat whatever you want, I have to admit, this recipe is absolutely scrumptious.  It has over half a stick of butter in it! 


It's sweet, but not too sweet, especially since Chilean blueberries are a bit tart this time of year.  It does come out really crumbly, and not like a bar which is what I had expected.  It would be perfection sprinkled over vanilla bean ice cream.  Man, I miss living in New England and having such great homemade ice cream all the time.  I'll definitely make this again by the lake this summer!


Blueberry Oat Crumbles
from How Sweet Eats

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup butter + 2 tablespoons
1 cup blueberries

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 350.
In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, oats, cinnamon and salt and mix until combined. Melt the 1/2 cup of butter and add it, along with the vanilla, to the oat mixture. Stir until moistened. This may take a minute or two! Fold in the blueberries – it’s okay if they pop a little bit.
Butter and flour an 8×8 baking pan. Press batter into the pan. Melt remaining butter and drizzle it over the bars. Bake for 20 minutes, the let cool completely – this can take up to 45 minutes! Cut and serve. Can be kept in the fridge or at room temperature in a sealed container.

3 comments:

Mom/Laurie said...

I am at the lake waiting...this sounds DELICIOUS!!! I will get the ice cream!!
xoxox

Karen Liffmann said...

Looks amazing!
I'll bring the Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!!!!

Anonymous said...

mine was not attractive at all... but when i talked everyone into tasting it, my were they surprised!!
yum, thanks!
auntie