Saturday, February 25, 2012

Cookie Cake

cookie cake

For Valentine's Day, I wanted to make a heart shaped dessert.  It only seemed appropriate.  I have a heart shaped pan that was my grandmother's, and a heart shaped cookie cutter, and I was actually able to use both for this dessert!

cookie cake

I'm going to come right out and be honest here - I got really sick from this dessert.  I tend to get a tummy ache pretty frequently, especially when I have too many sweets, but this one definitely did not make me feel too good.  I have a strong feeling this was from under baking.  My heart shaped pan is ceramic and probably a bit smaller than a 10" round pan, so I think I should have left it in the oven longer than 20 minutes.  The Monkey Scientist was fine though, so maybe I'm just a bit sensitive.  Just make sure it's really done before you take it out of the oven!

cookie cake

The fact that I used incredibly sweet butterscotch chips definitely didn't help my cause here either.  I recommend you go with something like bittersweet chocolate chips or even M & Ms when you make this.  Regardless, it absolutely needs to be topped with ice cream to cut the sweetness.

cookie cake

Despite the toll my tummy took, this was really very delicious.  The Monkey Scientist loved it and continues to stand by the fact that this is a great dessert.  I debated even posting it, but in the true spirit of recipe reviews I have to share the good, bad, and the ugly - and this one was a little bit of all 3.  A good recipe, bad execution, and ugly tummy rumblings.  If you do try it out, let me know how it goes with a metal pan!

cookie cake


Cookie Cake
from Ezra Pound Cake

Ingredients
1 stick plus 1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (I used butterscotch chips)

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 350.
2. Grease a 10" cake pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the top of the parchment paper with more butter.
3. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl, and set aside.
4. Using a stand mixer or a hand mixer, cream the stick of butter, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Increase the mixer speed to high, and beat for 15 seconds.
5. Stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl (unless you're using your Beater Blade!), and add the egg. Blend on medium speed for 30 seconds.
6. Add the dry ingredients, and combine on low speed until just a few dry streaks remain.
7. Stir in the 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips.
8. Scrape the batter into the prepared cake pan. Dip a rubber spatula in cold water, shake off the excess, and use it to press the batter into a smooth and even layer in the pan (or just use your clean fingers!).
9. Bake until lightly golden and puffy around the edges (the center should still feel quite soft), 18 to 20 minutes (may take longer). Cool for 10 minutes, and then run a knife around the edge of the pan to release the cake. Cool for at least 4 hours before turning the cake out of the pan and onto a large plate or cutting board. Peel off the parchment, and invert back onto a cake plate or stand.

No comments: