Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Buttermilk Roasted Drumsticks

Buttermilk chicken

The Monkey Scientist was really busy this week, which meant I had to motivate myself to cook for one.  I ended up inviting a friend over one night, and as long as I was prepping that dinner I also decided to start marinating chicken for my next meal.  I had seen this recipe earlier in the day and it sounded so amazing and juicy, I just had to try it.

Buttermilk chicken

The marinade couldn't have been simpler to throw together - and was super inexpensive.  I dumped in a 14 oz bottle of low fat buttermilk (99 cents at the grocery store), some garlic (maybe 50 cents?), seasonings I already had in the house, and marinated the drumsticks in it (on sale for $4.20 or so for about 2 1/4 lb).  I ate it for dinner with some roasted cauliflower (on sale for $2.99 a head), and actually had leftovers for lunch the next day and for the Monkey Scientist to eat for dinner the day after.  Definitely a great value!

Buttermilk chicken

This was some of the juiciest, most delicious chicken I've ever made.  I really love drumsticks, but this could be great with any part of the chicken.  The skin was crispy, just a bit spicy (except when the MS made the last 2 drumsticks for himself with extra cayenne...they were quite spicy) and the inside was tender and moist.  There's really nothing not to love about this one - just make sure you plan ahead so that you can prep it and let it marinate for a day or two before baking!

Buttermilk chicken

Buttermilk Roasted Drumsticks
every so slightly adapted from smitten kitchen

Ingredients
14 oz (1 1/2 c) buttermilk (I used low fat)
5 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika, plus extra for sprinkling (I used sweet, but I wanted to use spicy Hungarian)
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
2 1/2 pounds chicken drumsticks (you can use any part you like)
Drizzle of olive oil
Flaked or coarse sea salt and cayenne pepper, to finish

Instructions
1. Whisk buttermilk with garlic, table salt, sugar, paprika and lots of freshly ground black pepper in a bowl.
2. Place chicken parts in a gallon-sized freezer bag (or lidded container) and pour buttermilk brine over them, then swish it around so that all parts are covered.
3. Refrigerate for at least 2 but preferably 24 and up to 48 hours.
4. When ready to roast, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
5. Line a baking dish with foil. Remove chicken from buttermilk brine and arrange in dish.
6. Drizzle lightly with olive oil (honestly, I think I skipped this step and they were fine!), then sprinkle with additional paprika, sea salt, and a little cayenne to taste.
7. Roast for 35 minutes, until brown and a bit scorched in spots. Serve immediately.

No comments: