I know, it's been FOREVER. But I've been away! And I really didn't do a whole lot of cooking while I was on vacation. First, I was up at my parents house on the lake in NH with some friends, where we did things like grill and make lobsters. Not the most exciting food to blog, but it sure was delicious.
Then, I headed up to Chicago to visit the Monkey Scientist's family, as well as some of my closest friends. It was his mom's birthday, so I wanted to bring a little something special for her. She loves to bake, so I thought this recipe was a pretty and fun gift to bring her.
Well, it turns out, going through security, a mason jar looks a bit...suspicious. Fortunately, when my friendly TSA agent unwrapped the jar, he actually thought it was the smartest idea ever. Apparently, I was informed, you can't bring actual cookie dough on planes because it is unstable, but as long as you remove the liquids, you're good to go. I told him he should put this recipe up on the TSA website!
My little trip to the North was amazing - I saw so many great friends and family, and had a fantastic time jet skiing, swimming, kayaking, waterskiing, and then experiencing the "beach" in Chicago. The cookie mix jar went over great, and I definitely recommend it as a gift. Make sure you REALLY pack down each layer, as I had trouble stuffing in the last of the flour...and then the sugar, chocolate chips, and pecans got a little shaken up on the plane. I suggest using a wide mouth jar (not like the one I used) so it's easier to pack it in. I'll definitely perfect it by the holiday season!
Cowboy Cookies in a Jar
from all recipes
1 1/3 c rolled oats
1/2 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c white sugar
1/2 c chopped pecans
1 c semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1. Layer the ingredients in a 1 quart jar in the order given. Press each layer firmly in place before adding the next layer.
2. Include a card with the following instructions:
Cowboy Cookies Mix in a Jar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1/2 c melted butter or margarine, 1 egg, and 1 tsp vanilla. Stir in the entire contents of the jar. You may need to use your hands to finish mixing. Shape into walnut-sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 11 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Transfer from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.