Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cayenne Cinnamon Ribs with Maple Glaze


Last week, before this rain storm hit, the Monkey Scientist and I decided to have a little BBQ.  Outside of my apartment building we have 2 grills by the pool - it's one of my favorite amenities in the summer when it's too hot to cook indoors.  I also got a new grill kit from our Wellness program at work in January - so I was excited to finally get to use it.


I think you might have heard, but I'm a huge maple fan.  So when this recipe came up for a maple glazed rib, I was intrigued.  Then I realized it was kicked up with some spicy pepper and I was sold.  The rub was super easy to throw together and full of our favorite spice - crushed red pepper flakes.


We rubbed the ribs down well on both sides.  We couldn't figure out how to remove the membrane from the bottom, so we didn't.  You still can.  I bet your ribs will be tender deliciousness.


Now, here is the part where I wouldn't follow my instructions at all.  If you're making these on the grill, DON'T put it on foil.  The foil stuck all to the bottom of the ribs and we definitely ended up eating a lot of it.  Not good eats.


To make matters worse, we're not grilling pros.  Turns out you need to turn the grill down to low after you light it.  Otherwise you will totally burn your ribs to a crisp after 20 minutes.  Trust me.  I completely blame the Monkey Scientist.  (except that he went upstairs while they were burning, and I saw the smoke and did nothing about it.  still his fault right?)

Despite how charred and foily they were, they were still pretty darn good.  I need to try to make them again in the oven because I know they'd be totally delicious.  Will you try and let me know?  Thanks :)


Cayenne Cinnamon Ribs with Maple Glaze
from Steamy Kitchen

Ingredients

1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt (or 1/2 teaspoon table salt)
3 pounds pork baby back ribs
1/4 cup maple syrup

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375F (or prepare your grill). Remove the tough membrane from the underside of the ribs.

2. In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, ground cinnamon, creuhed red pepper and salt.. Place ribs on a double layer of tin foil (large enough to wrap around ribs) and season the ribs on both sides with the rub. Fold over foil and completely cover ribs. Place ribs on baking sheet or roasting pan.

3. Bake 1 hour or until meat starts to pull away from bones.

4. Turn broiler on to high and move rack to upper-mid position. Carefully open foil. Brush ribs with maple syrup. Broil ribs 3-4 minutes until browned. Take care not to burn the ribs like me!