Sunday, January 27, 2013

Spicy Honey Brushed Chicken Thighs

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

To make the understatement of 2013, this post is overdue.  To be honest, after the holidays I needed a little hiatus from blogging. I needed to just get in the kitchen and cook without worrying about taking photos or finding the time to write up a post.  But I knew the blogging bug would come back eventually, so I didn't want to scare you into thinking yelleBELLYboo was gone forever.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

So, I probably shouldn't be admitting this, but I was so lame on Friday night.  We came home from work, had a few snacks, and were lying horizontally on our bed looking at cookbooks to find a recipe for dinner.  The next thing I knew, it was 9:30 and I couldn't get myself to fully wake up.  To be fair, we had an incredibly busy week!

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

Side note - highlight of the week was seeing Book of Mormon.  We went to a great dinner at Bistro Voltaire first (they have an excellent $29 prix fixe pre-theater menu) where we had fabulous french onion soup, creme brulee, and lots of other French favorites.  Then we went to the show - my Chanukah/Christmas present - and laughed the entire time.  It was one of my favorite dates we have ever been on.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

Anyways, my week was like that.  Every night was something.  Including a Thursday night gym trip after work that somehow turned into over 2 hours at the gym and not getting home until 9.  By Friday I was exhausted.  So when I couldn't revive out of my coma, I sent the Monkey Scientist to the store and he came back with all of the ingredients to make this recipe.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

It reminds me a LOT of one of my favorite recipes - Spicy Chicken Thighs with Cucumber Avocado Salsa from Cooking Canuck - and I think it was every bit as good.  We (of course) made it spicier than it originally called for.  Good news - I think my taste buds are growing back because I actually tasted the kick in this one.  The boys? Not so much.  This was a late night dinner, but it was fantastic, quick to put together, and easy as pie.  So easy my brother could make it - and with an ingredient list short enough that we had everything in the house except the chicken.  Served with a salad it was just what I needed!

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

Spicy Honey Brushed Chicken Thighs
slightly adapted from Cooking Light

Ingredients
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ancho chili powder (regular chili powder would work fine)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Hungarian sweet paprika
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1/2 tsp ground red pepper (cayenne)
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
Cooking spray
6 tbsp honey
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp sriracha

Instructions
1. Combine the garlic powder, ancho chili power, salt, cumin, paprika, pepper and red pepper in a large bowl.
2. Add the chicken thighs to the bowl and toss to evenly coat with all of the spices.
3. Line a cookie sheet with heavy duty foil and spray with cooking spray.  Lay the chicken thighs flat on the cookie sheet.  Broil (on high) for 5 minutes on each side.
4. While the chicken is broiling, combine the honey, vinegar, and sriracha in a small bowl. 
5. Once the chicken has cooked on both sides, remove from the oven and brush one side with the honey mixture.  Broil for an additional 1 minute.  Remove from the oven and flip, then brush the other side with the honey mixture then broil 1 minute or until the chicken is cooked through.  Serve immediately.

1 comment:

Miz Helen said...

This Chicken will have the greatest flavor. Have a great week and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen