Monday, October 17, 2011

Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar

hot cocoa in a jar

This post is going to be a short one, but I wanted to share a great gift idea with you.  I made these cocoa jars to bring to my bestest friend and the Monkey Scientist's parents while I was visiting Chicago a couple weeks ago.  I think they're the most adorable gift to send for the holidays!

hot cocoa mix

Of course, you can also make this mix and store it to have your own cocoa all winter long!  I had tons left over and I've been keeping it in a jar on my counter to make hot cocoa whenever I like.  You just mix it with hot water, or even coffee if that's your kind of thing, and it's ready! It's absolutely delicious - creamy and frothy and chocolately and sweet.  The best drink on a cold winter's day!

hot cocoa in a jar

Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar
adjusted slightly from Whole Eats & Whole Treats

Ingredients

3 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp cornstarch
3/4 tsp fine salt
1 bag mini marshmallows

Instructions
Put all of the ingredients through a fine-mesh sieve. You will have to smoosh the powdered milk through with a spoon. This breaks up those lumps of milk and makes a nice uniform looking powder.

Fill a glass jar nearly to the top with mix, leaving about 1" of space at the top.  Fill the rest with mini marshmallows and put on the lid.

Instructions for making cocoa: 
Fill mug 1/3 of the way (or less for weaker hot cocoa) with the mix. Add a little bit of boiling water (or coffee) and stir or whisk. Fill the rest of the way with more water/coffee.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thanks for bringing me gifts!