Sunday, August 14, 2011

Simple Lunch: Salad with Goat Cheese, Cukes, and Tahini


Based on the fact you don't see a new blog post every day, you must realize I don't make a big extravagant dish for every meal.  A lot of things are so simple they don't seem blog-worthy.  Sometimes, though, the most simple dishes are exactly what you're looking for and all you need is a little inspiration!

When I don't have much time to throw something together - which is almost always the case in the morning when I'm making my lunch - I love to make a simple salad.  I'm not a big salad dressing person (the ingredient list always frightens me) so finding new inspiring ways to top my salad is always a big challenge.  Often I go with some fresh squeezed lemon and garlic salt, but lemons get really expensive when you can't grow them yourself!  This week, I tried topping it with tahini paste and hot sauce - it was a fun, healthy, flavorful alternative to dressing.

I hope my recipe will inspire some new ingredients for your salad (I was inspired by my falafel burgers!).  I meant to add raisins but forgot at the last minute.  I would have loved to add some bell pepper (I used to hate these when I was younger, now I can't stop eating them!) but I had run out.  You can just feel free to use anything you have on hand!


Simple Salad with Goat Cheese, Cucumbers, and Tahini

Ingredients:
1 cup lettuce (I used mixed baby greens)
2 tbsp goat cheese
1/4 c cucumbers, sliced
1 1/2 tbsp tahini paste
8 dashes hot sauce (I used Frank's Red Hot)
1/4 tsp ginger powder
1/3 tsp garlic salt
freshly ground pepper

Instructions:
1. In a large bowl or tupperware, combine lettuce, goat cheese, and cucumbers.
2. Drizzle tahini over veggies and cheese. Dash with hot sauce. Sprinkle with ginger powder, garlic salt, and pepper.
3. Place lid on tupperware, or a plate over the bowl, and shake well to mix all the ingredients. (Make sure lid is on or you're holding the plate tight so you dont have salad all over the floor!)

No comments: