I adjusted the Quiche recipe to fit the ingredients I had on hand. It was entirely yummy! I loved the olives in it!!
GREEK-STYLE ROASTED RED PEPPER PESTO QUICHE WITH AN OATMEAL CRUST
(Adapted from (never home)maker)
For the crust:
For the filling:
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons greek-style roasted red pepper pesto
- Ground pepper, to taste
- 1 heaping tablespoon dijon
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2/3 cup crumbled feta
- 1/3 cup chopped kalamata olives (no pits!)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse together the oats, flour, and salt. Three pulses should do it.
- Then cut in the butter (just cut it into smaller pieces) and pulse until it gets crumbly (maybe 10 times).
- Add in the milk. Pulse until it is well combined and forms a ball. About 10 pulses.
- Then take this dough ball and place between two sheets of wax paper. Roll with a rolling pin until it is about 10 inches in diameter. Then place it in your prepared pie dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a pan over medium-high heat and put a little olive oil in it. Cook your onions and peppers until they are soft and lightly browned. About 8-10 minutes.
- By now your pie shell should be done. Set it aside and lower the oven temp to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together your eggs, egg whites, milk, pesto, pepper, and mustard.
- Then sprinkle your cheese over the pie crust. Distribute the onions/green peppers (I only needed about 1/2 of the mixture) and olives over that layer. And pour your egg mixture over that.
- Bake for 35 minutes -- until set and lightly browned.