Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Fig Newtons

Still sick, and still baking to feel better.


I was reading through some old blog posts that were posted before I started following some of my favorite blogs, and stumbled across this recipe.  Although my grocery store doesn't sell dried figs (I'll have to bring some home next time I'm at my parents' house, they always have some) I had a jar of fig spread that I'd used to make a stew a few weeks ago.

I'll have to make the stew again and remember to take pictures, because last night I was all about some cookies. I replaced the fig newton filling with the fig spread.




Unfortunately, it probably wasn't as thick as the spread that ELR suggested making.  Next time I will try to follow the original recipe.



Other than that, I highly recommend flouring your work surface when you roll out the dough.  It's really sticky and hard to fold otherwise.  And as a a result, I had a bunch of cracks, which led to a lot of my filling pouring out of the cookie during baking.  Which meant some of my newtons were almost fig-free :(



Although mine didn't turn out exactly how I wanted, the cookie dough did taste a lot like the original and I think they'd be pretty tasty if you make the filling as instructed.  I'll definitely have to try this one again once I get a hold of some dried figs!



Mmmm, cookies and cold medicine with Muppets tissues.  At least I have cookies.





Whole Wheat Fig Newtons
from Eat, Live, Run
makes about 40 cookies
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
3 ounces butter, softened
1/2 cup + 2 T brown sugar, packed
1 T cream (I used half and half)
2 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
for filling:
2 cups dried figs, stems chopped off
about 3 cups apple juice
1/4 cup granulated sugar
Cream together the brown sugar and butter. Add the cream and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, beating after each addition.
In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Add to the butter and sugar mixture and mix until a soft dough forms (be careful not to over-mix). Turn dough out onto a floured countertop and form a smooth ball. Let chill in fridge for 2-4 hours, or overnight.
Meanwhile, make the filling. Place the figs in a saucepot and cover with apple juice. Let sit for 15 minutes. Add sugar and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Let cool and puree figs and juice together.
Preheat the oven to 350. Cut dough ball into two parts and keep the part you’re not using in the fridge. Roll out one part into a large rectangle (see above photo). Carefully pick rectangle up and put on a lined baking sheet. Spoon about a half cup of fig puree down the center of the rectangle, being sure to save room around all edges. Fold top and bottom down over the middle of the rectangle and let the edges barely overlap. Fold the outer edges of the rectangle in and pinch together. Repeat with other piece of dough.
Bake for twenty five minutes, until golden. Let cool before slicing into newtons.

No comments: