Saturday, February 12, 2011

Roasted Farm Fresh Carrots

My favorite part of living in the section of DC that I do is that it is really more of a neighborhood than a city.  Sure, it's pretty busy right on Connecticut Avenue, but if you step off of the main road there is a quiet neighborhood full of little houses with yards and dogs and children (behind fences, fortunately) (and you know I meant the dogs and the kids).  There are also several schools.

 

This morning, when I went for a run, I discovered that a farmer from southeast Pennsylvania has a small stand selling fruits and veggies outside of a neighborhood school on Saturday mornings.  Right around the corner from my house! I was thrilled!  Once a month or so a few other local growers come and sell things like meats and baked goods (breads) as well.

I circled the block a few more times before my chest cold made running a lot less than fun and then stopped to explore.  I noticed that they had several varieties of carrots.  I remembered starring a roasted baby carrot recipe in my google reader but not knowing where to get baby carrots - so this was my chance!

 

For a little change from the typical orange carrot, I picked out yellow and purple varieties (in retrospect probably not the best color combo to choose this week).  I wish I had remembered that the recipe called for a red onion because I would have bought that from the farmer as well.  Next week I'll be more prepared!

 

The carrots were DELISH!  The best part by far, though, were the onions.  They were crispy, sweet and perfect!  I think the farm-fresh carrots made a big difference - they were so good. Definitely have to head back to this farmers market next week as well!

 What did I serve with it? Stay tuned! 

 

Roasted Farm Fresh Carrots
from Simply Recipes

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 lbs of 5 inch long thin carrots, carefully washed, patted dry, greens cropped to 1 inch above top of carrot
  • 1 medium red onion, peeled, cut lengthwise (root to top) into 8-12 wedges
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp fresh chopped rosemary, or 1 teaspoon of dried rosemary
  • Garlic powder
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Directions

1 Preheat oven to 400°F. Gently toss together the carrots, red onion, rosemary to coat with the olive oil. Lay out on a rimmed baking pan, lined with aluminum foil. Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt, and pepper.


2 Roast for 30 to 40 minutes on middle rack or bottom rack, until well browned.
Serves 4.

1 comment:

www.you-made-that.com said...

these do look so good, great color too.