Sunday, February 20, 2011

Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries

At the farmer's market this Saturday, I picked up a wide variety of veggies to use this week.  I purchased everything in small portions so that I could cook for just me, and not have too many left overs.



I purchased a sweet potato because I was craving some homemade baked fries.  I found this recipe from one of my favorite healthy blogs, introduced to me by one of my very best friends from college.



I have always had trouble finding ground chipotle chile at my grocery store, but I picked up this jar of chipotle seasoning for the chocolate and chipotle brownies I made last summer.  Even though pre-blended spices is what almost sent Tiffany home on Top Chef this week, in this case it mixed almost the exact seasonings Gina called for in the original recipe.  However, I am still going to give you the original recipe, so you can mix your own.  All I did was use this as my only seasoning, with a little bit more garlic powder added.



These fries were super tasty!  They definitely weren't the sweet potato fries at Bartley's, but for baked fries they were very good!  I wish I'd had more patience and cooked them longer, they could have been crispier for sure.  I enjoyed them with a simple garlic aoli (garlic crushed into low fat mayo). I will have to try this one out again.



Baked Chipotle Sweet Potato Fries
from Gina's Skinny Taste


Ingredients
  • 1 sweet potato, (about 5" long) peeled and cut into 1/4" fries
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • sea salt
  • ground chipotle chile
  • garlic powder 

    Directions

    Preheat oven to 425°.
    In a medium bowl, toss sweet potatoes with olive oil, salt, garlic powder and chipotle chile powder.
    Spread potatoes on a baking sheet. Avoid crowding so potatoes get crisp. Bake 15 minutes. Turn and bake an additional 10-15 minutes. Ovens may vary so keep an eye on them and be sure to cut all the potatoes the same size to ensure even cooking.

    No comments: