Sunday, February 13, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti

After my wonderful meal of roasted carrots and cornish hen, my roommate and I decided to stay in to watch movies.  Which, of course, meant we needed cookies. I was hoping 2 nights in would help me kick this chest cold!



I just discovered a wonderful new blog.  I added it to my google reader and I think I starred almost every single one of the recipes that popped up.  Everything looked freaking awesome.



Over the holidays, I made gingerbread biscotti several times.  Biscotti are so easy to make, they last a long time, and they're GOOD!  So I decided to try a Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti for roommate movie night, especially because Tracey got the recipe from joy the baker, who has never let me down.  The only adjustment I made was to use some whole wheat flour because I think it holds up really well in biscotti.



And these did NOT let me down.  YUM.  Best biscotti I've made yet :)  (roommate even agreed, better than the gingerbread biscotti!) Fresh out of the oven they were soft, but once they cooled and were hard they were still really good dipped in some of my favorite tea.



Cinnamon Sugar Biscotti
adapted from tracey's culinary adventures via joy the baker

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour 
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.  In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the egg and then the egg yolk, beating well after each addition.  Mix in the vanilla.  Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients, mixing only until everything is incorporated and the dough comes together.

Divide the dough in half.  On the prepared baking sheet, shape each half into a log that is 9 inches long and 1 1/2-inch-wide.  Space the logs at least 4 inches apart.  Brush the tops and sides of the logs with the beaten egg.  In a small bowl combine the cinnamon and sugar for the topping, then sprinkle about 2/3 of it generously on the logs.

Bake until the logs are golden and slightly firm to the touch, about 40-45 minutes.  Remove the baking sheet from the oven but maintain the oven temperature.  Once the logs are cool enough to handle, use a serrated knife to cut each log into 1/2-wide slices on the diagonal.  Place the biscotti cut-side down on the baking sheet and sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon-sugar topping.  Bake the biscotti again until pale golden, about 10-15 minutes.  Remove and cool on wire racks.

No comments: