Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Favorites

Maple Pecan Bars

I know my posts have been a bit scarce lately.  When work gets really busy, I end up working late, getting home late, and by the time we're done with dinner I'm too exhausted to write up posts.  Hopefully things will calm down a bit more soon and I'll be able to share recipes again!

In the meantime, I wanted to share a few links to some of my favorite recipes for Thanksgiving:
Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms
Buttery Cloverleaf Rolls
Yankee Maple Cornbread
Tourtière (French Canadian Meat Pie)
Lentil Pot Pie
Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Dried Cherries and Israeli Couscous
Cinnamon Maple Applesauce
Sweet Potato Bread Pudding (from Baking Bites)
Maple Pecan Bars
Mint Chocolate Polka Dot Cookies
Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie (from She Wears Many Hats)

We started out our Thanksgiving early this year with a Friendsgiving on Saturday.  My friend made one of the best turkeys I've ever had! (And I am NOT a turkey person!)  The simple tips I gave her were 1) UNDERcook, not over cook, since it will keep cooking under the foil while it rests, and 2) Use something to keep it covered in the oven. I've used a turkey bag before but foil works well too, but then uncover at the end to crisp up the skin.

I'm also not into stuffing my bird - I prefer to fill it with citrus and herbs. That way I don't have to worry about cooking the stuffing to 165 to kill bacteria (and in turn overcooking my bird!).  The Monkey Scientist's family stuffs their bird with White Castle burgers.  What do you do?

I hope everyone has a wonderful turkey day.  This is a great time to remind everyone in your life just how thankful you are for them!  Enjoy!

Butter Clover Rolls

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Aw thanks lav! The turkey was a success but I owe it all to the Pioneer woman obvi :-)