Thursday, June 16, 2011

Father's Day [PW's Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies]

malted chocolate chip cookies

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!

malted chocolate chip cookies

My dad is just about the greatest person in the entire world.  He knows something about just about everything, and I can always rely on him when I have a question. He has always been very supportive of me and encouraged me to follow a path that I felt was right for me. Dad is definitely one of the major reasons I've gotten to where I am today.

malted chocolate chip cookies

My dad, growing up in Rhode Island, has always been a big ice cream fan.  I remember going down to Rhode Island with him as a kid to get Del's lemonade and an Awful Awful.  We've traipsed all over the Cape and New Hampshire trying the best homemade ice creams.

malted chocolate chip cookies

I couldn't exactly send Dad homemade ice cream, but I know he loves to make his own ice cream sandwiches.  PW strongly encouraged making ice cream sandwiches with these cookies, so I thought he'd really enjoy them.  It makes perfect sense - they're crispy, flat, and are filled with malted milk powder - the ingredient that puts a frappe over the top. (By the way, I bought my malted milk powder on Amazon.)

malted chocolate chip cookies

I hope Dad enjoys the cookies and is no longer jealous of the cookies I made for my brother.  And, even though I won't be up in New Hampshire Sunday, I hope he has a wonderful father's day with my mom and brother!  

malted chocolate chip cookies

I love you, Dad!

malted chocolate chip cookies

Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
from the Pioneer Woman
Makes about 30 cookies

Ingredients
1 cup (2 Sticks) Unsalted Butter Softened
¾ cups Golden Brown Sugar (light brown sugar)
¾ cups Sugar
2 whole Eggs
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1-¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
1-¼ teaspoon Salt
½ cups (rounded) Malted Milk Powder
1 bag (12 Ounce) Milk Chocolate Chips

Instructions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream butter, then add both sugars and cream until fluffy. Add eggs and beat slightly, then add vanilla and beat until combined. Add malted milk powder and beat until combined.
Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to butter mixture, beating gently until just combined.
Add chocolate chips and stir in gently.
Drop by teaspoonfuls (or use a cookie scoop) and bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Bake less if you want chewy cookies; more if you want crispy cookies. (I need to check the temperature of my oven, but I baked 11 minutes and the 2nd batch could have used a little more time)
Optional: Allow to cool completely, then use two cookies to make an ice cream sandwich. Add sprinkles to the sides of the ice cream, then wrap individually in plastic wrap.

7 comments:

Steven/Dad said...

D,

You are the best liitle girl anyone could possible ask for. Somehow you figured out the straightest line to my heart is thru my stomach. The cookies arrived today and all I can say is YUMMMM!!! Nothing better than food made with the sweetest ingredient.... LOVE.

Love you
Dad

Anna said...

What a street thing to make for your dad! I have tried that recipe and it is a good one, however I made Gale Gand's version, which is probably the original. The cookies are nice and thin. There's also a recipe put out by Crisco that uses shortening and a tablespoon or so of chocolate syrup. I think I like that one (and Gale Gand's) better.

Baking Ribbons said...

I love malted anything! I never thought to put it into cookies...I eat 3 muskateers all the time! I need one of those cookies now!

Karen Liffmann said...

Your Dad has a GREAT daughter!
Hope he shares his cookies on Sunday.

dani said...

They came out so delicious - but Anna, I have to try Gale Gand's version. You're the cookie queen so I definitely trust you on this!

spike. said...

sounds like a great cookie! I'm headed to RI next weekend for a little Dell's

Pame Recetas said...

Too bad I can't get the malted milk here where I lived at the bottom of the world! this seems to be the perfect recipe for chocochips cookies. Your dad is so lucky ! Big hugs from Chile