Saturday, June 4, 2011

American Flag Cake


I apologize here for a few reasons.  For one, I made this cake before either of the shower recipes.  But everyone had been asking for the recipes from the shower, so I had to get those up first.


I also have to apologize, because this recipe is about as Sandra Lee as I get.  The Monkey Scientist will tell you (if you haven't realized already) that I really like to make EVERYTHING from scratch.  But I got the idea to make this mere hours before I had to be at a BBQ, so I did go the boxed cake route.


However, I did try to play with the boxed cake a bit. I used both white cake and strawberry cake, and swirled them. It made for a pretty and patriotic design.  Everyone was quite surprised when they cut into it! My friend taught me to sub 1/2 the water for whole milk, which makes for a much moister cake.  You should try it!


Also, while I was cutting this, one of my strawberries sliced into perfect hearts. How flippin' adorable is that?


I made this cake for a Memorial Day BBQ, but it would be really great for the 4th of July as well.  It couldn't be easier to throw together - although if I make it again I promise to make the cake from scratch! It is a huge hit and of course tastes delicious. (It's just cake, Cool Whip, and berries, how could it not be delicious?)  Sandra Lee may not be a recipe writer but she is a great decorator - so sometimes it is good to emulate her, right?


American Flag Cake
(makes 2 cakes)

Ingredients
1 box white cake mix
1 box strawberry cake mix (you can add red food coloring to white cake if you don't like strawberry)
ingredients on the back of the box, but sub 1/2 water for whole milk
2 containers Cool Whip
1 lb ripe strawberries, sliced thin
1/2 pint blueberries

Instructions
Mix the cake mixes as instructed on the back of the box.
Spread half of the white cake into each pan.  Put dollops of strawberry cake mix on top. Using a thin knife, swirl with the white cake below.
Bake as direction and let cool COMPLETELY.
Place the blueberries in the top left corner and make stripes with the strawberries to resemble an American flag.

No comments: