Friday, May 24, 2013

Roasted Gnocchi

Roasted Gnocchi

A few weeks ago I mentioned my new favorite trick for making gnocchi.  Let me preface this by saying I tried to make super authentic homemade gnocchi once.  I attempted to make Giada's Sweet Potato Gnocchi because - well they have maple in them.  I was living with a family friend, just after moving to DC and she's not exactly a cook.  In fact the only "bowl" she had in the house was her pasta pot.  I made do but well, not ideal for trying complicated cooking.

Roasted Gnocchi

My gnocchi came out like balls of glue.  It was the most disgusting thing I think I've ever made.  I was at the peak of being poor and unemployed, yet I think I still threw the whole batch away.  Their only redeeming quality was that they were covered in a brown butter maple sauce, which I'm pretty sure I drank.  I'm just not Giada, but that's OK with me.  So when my old coworker's sister taught me this trick for making pre-packaged gnocchi I was quite excited.  Gnocchi was back on my radar!

(Side note: yes, that's a Spotted Cow in the background.  The Monkey Scientist flew into Milwaukee on his way home from Florida and stopped on his way back to Chicago to get me some of this rare gem of a beer.  It was perfectly paired with this Midwestern weeknight dinner of pork, gnocchi and asparagus!)

Roasted Gnocchi

This is literally the easiest way to make gnocchi ever.  Is it a little more Sandra Lee than Giada?  Sure.  But I know my limits.  And the result is about 10000 times tastier than my glue-ball fail.  They are toasty and crunchy on the outside with a nice soft bite on the inside.  I like this version the best, with a little bit of a kick from some Cajun seasoning, but you could really make them any way you like.  The original version I had left out the Cajun seasoning and added shredded Parmesan that crusted up like the outside of an Asiago cheese bagel.  The possibilities are endless!

Roasted Gnocchi

Roasted Gnocchi

Ingredients
1 package of pre-made gnocchi
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Cajun seasoning

Instructions
1. Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F.
2. Place the gnocchi on a foil-lined baking sheet and toss to coat with olive oil, salt, pepper, and cajun seasoning.
3. Bake for about 20 minutes, tossing a few times, until the outsides are crispy but the insides still have a bite.

5 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

let us know how the lemon crunch bars turned out.
and just so you know, I also made ginger crunch bars! dangerous!
thank you for your comment!

Miz Helen said...

We are going to just love this awesome dish. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a fabulous weekend.
Come Back Soon!
Miz Helen

Unknown said...

So awesome to roast the gnocchi! Thanks for linking up with What's Cookin' Wednesday!

AmyM said...

This looks fantastic! You don't have to boil the gnocchi first? Just take out of package, toss with the oil and seasonings, and bake? That seems too easy! :-D

dani said...

It is as easy as it sounds, Amy! No need to boil first!