Friday, June 1, 2012

5 Ingredient Smashed Potatoes

Smashed potatoes2

This recipe is so easy you won't believe it!  It has only 5 ingredients - potatoes, creme fraiche, thyme, salt and pepper.  That's it!  But it is literally the most luxurious smashed potato recipe I've ever made.

I usually like to roast potatoes (like all my veggies) but this was a totally different recipe than my usual olive oil laden potatoes.  It's almost like mashed potatoes, but a million times better.  I made it for this week's Thursday night barbecue and it was a hit!  I wish I had made more!  Now, in the name of full disclosure, this isn't the cheapest potato recipe.  I don't grow fresh thyme (I wish I did) and creme fraiche is on the pricier side.  But  the end product is so good, you could serve it anywhere from a barbecue to a fancy dinner party.

I highly recommend this one!  Even if you aren't great in the kitchen, I promise you will impress.

Smashed potatoes

Smashed Potatoes
from Leite's Culinaria

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds red- or ivory-skinned waxy potatoes, or a mixture or both, each about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, scrubbed
1 cup (8 ounces) creme fraiche
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus sprigs for garnish
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
1. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and place them in a large saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork, about 12 minutes or so.
2. Drain the potatoes and return them to the warm pan. Add the creme fraiche and chopped thyme and smash with a potato masher or fork until the potatoes are almost but not quite ready to break apart. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with the thyme sprigs, and serve right away.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Those potatoes look like they would be perfect alongside any summer meal! I'm happy to be your new follower! Keep the recipes coming!

Paulette-Jeff's Mom said...

This looks great. You can make your own creme fraiche...so easy and cheap.
1C Whipping Cream (NOT ULTRA-pasterized, but it will work)
2TBLS Buttermilk

Mix in jar and let sit at room temp (at least 70* uncovered) for about 24 hours. Stir, cover and refrigerate.
Make pancakes or dressing with leftover buttermilk.

dani said...

Thanks, Jeff!

Paulette - GREAT TIP! I will need to try this because creme fraiche is like $5 for an 8 oz container, too expensive!!!