Monday, December 5, 2011

Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms

stuffed mushrooms

This Thanksgiving, Mom asked me to put together a recipe list before I came home for the holiday so she could start getting organized.  My first request for appetizers was her famous stuffed mushroom recipe. She has been making this hor d'oeurve for as long as I can remember and it is one of my absolute favorites.

un-stuffed mushrooms


I always thought this recipe had been my Mimi's and she had passed it on to my mom.  I learned that, actually, my mom got the recipe from her old tennis partner.  I think pre-2006 my mom mush have used a different stuffed mushroom recipe, but this one was such a hit that it must have replaced her old classic.  Either way, I'm definitely not complaining.

stuffing for mushrooms

This is the first time I remember actually making these mushrooms, and it is way easier than I realized.  I love that you add the stems of the mushrooms back into the stuffing - that way nothing goes to waste.  We were actually able to assemble everything the day before and just throw them in the oven before we were ready to serve them.  Making things ahead is always the key to holding a successful holiday party. (However, I do apologize that since we made them ahead and baked them at night, the final photos are a bit dim.  Someday I'll by a DSLR so I can make manual adjustments to the ISO and make these photos come out better!)

stuffed mushroomsstuffed mushrooms

If I didn't make this clear yet, these mushrooms are awesome.  This time they actually came out a little greasy, but that usually isn't the case.  They are the perfect size to pop in your mouth (I love a one-bite treat!) so there is no need for a fork and knife or even a plate.  They're warm and cheesy with depth from the oregano and breadcrumbs.  If you have a holiday party coming up, these are a simple and delicious appetizer that is sure to delight!

stuffed mushrooms

Mom's Stuffed Mushrooms
Recipe courtesy of Lisa Dunn circa 2006 via my mom

Ingredients
½ lb medium to large mushrooms
1/3 c dry, seasoned breadcrumbs
2 green onions, chopped (optional)
¼ c butter or margarine, melted
½ c cheddar or romano cheese, grated + extra for sprinkling
Dash white wine
½ tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
Dash freshly ground black pepper

Instructions
1. Carefully remove stems from mushrooms and chop.
2. Combine stems and remaining ingredients (except mushroom caps) to make the stuffing.
3. Fill caps with stuffing mixture. Sprinkle top with extra cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.

No comments: