Saturday, May 14, 2011

Vegetable Fried Rice


This recipe is my favorite way to use leftovers.  After I made the Salmon and Veggies in Parchment Packets, I had a bunch of leftover veggies.  I also had a bunch of plain brown rice that was a day or two old.


The veggies just need to be cooked through on the stovetop.  Then I push them aside and scramble an egg on the side.


Leftover brown rice does work much better than freshly cooked, but if you don't have any you can always cook some up.  I totally undercooked mine and it was hard, but we still gobbled it up.


I absolutely love this dish.  It's so easy to throw together, and I don't have to go out to the store to buy anything.  Feel free to use any vegetables you have in the fridge - minced carrots work great, I just didn't have any. It's way lower fat than the version from the Chinese restaurant as well.  You can throw in some cooked chicken, steak, or shrimp if you wanted some protein.  You can also add some ginger for a little more flavor if you'd like. I promise, you'll enjoy it!


Vegetable Fried Rice
serves 2

Ingredients
1 tablespoon peanut oil, divided
1/4 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
1/4 cup peas, fresh or frozen
1/4 cup string beans, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 egg
1/2 cup cooked brown rice (I used short grain, but long grain works fine)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
salt, red pepper flakes & pepper to season
Sriracha for serving

Instructions
Heat 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil over medium high heat.  Add the garlic and onions and cook until soft and the garlic becomes fragrant.
Add the pepper, peas, and beans, and cook 2 minutes.
Push the vegetables aside, and add the egg. Break the yolk and scramble as thin as possible. Once cooked, incorporate in with veggies.
Create a hole in the middle and add remaining oil.  Add the cooked rice and fry to incorporate with veggies.  Add the soy sauces and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
Serve with sriracha.

No comments: