Monday, March 7, 2011

Spinach and Goat Cheese Turkey Burgers with Homemade Buns



I love ground turkey.  Not only is it tasty and healthy, it's cheap!  I bought all-natural, 97/3 ground turkey for LESS THAN $3 today!


Right before leaving work I very quickly had to find something to make for dinner.  These burgers seemed like a quick and easy dinner.  I am not a big feta fan so I substituted it for  goat cheese, which I LOVE.  I don't even know why they make cheese from cows when they can make it from goats!



I have decided recently to give up purchasing bread.  Most companies use high fructose corn syrup and other un-natural ingredients - so it is much more healthy to make it myself and not that difficult!



These buns were easy to make, but I think I added too much flour.  I'll have to try this recipe again to give it a fair shot.



The burgers on the other hand were DELISH!  I learned from Bobby Flay to salt and pepper the outside of the burger instead of mixing the seasonings inside.  It helps create a nice crust on the outside of the burger.  The goat cheese make the burgers creamy and yum.



I also added caramelized onions, ketchup, and Chulula on top of the burger.  It was a perfect dinner after today's run! 

 

Spinach and Goat Cheese Turkey Burgers
Adapted from Eat, Live, Run 
Ingredients:
1.3 lb ground turkey
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 box frozen spinach (about half of a bag), defrosted and squeezed dry
3 oz goat cheese
1 tsp salt + pinch of pepper
Directions:
Mix together all ingredients with your hands and form eight small patties. Cook patties in a greased skillet for about 6 minutes per side, or until meat is completely cooked. Serve on toasted buns with extra cheese, hot sauce, sliced onion, lettuce and ketchup.

Homemade Burger Buns
from creationsbykara 
Ingredients: 
  • ¾ cups Hot Water
  • 2 Tablespoons Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Sugar
  • 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 2-¾ cups Flour - half AP, half whole wheat (I used much less and probably could have used less)
Instructions:
Combine all the ingredients with about 1 1/2 cups of the flour in a large bowl. I use my Bosch. Beat till smooth. Add enough flour to make a dough that is slightly sticky, but doesn’t stick to your fingers. Knead for about 5 minutes.
Let dough rest for a couple of minutes, then divide into 8 portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place on a well-greased cookie sheet and press down with the palm of your hand to flatten slightly. Let rise till doubled. (Mine took about 30 minutes, but it depends on the temperature of your kitchen.) Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for about 15-18 minutes. Cut in half and serve, for the yummiest hamburger you’ve ever had.
Note: If you want sesame seeds on top, take them out of the oven after 10 minutes of baking. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Then return them to the oven for the remaining 5-8 minutes.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

i do not have the time that you have so i bought buns. but the burger's were DELISH as you said! yummy and easy!!