Monday, January 24, 2011

Blackberry and Orange Zest Muffins

I have been thinking about these muffins ever since Jenna posted them.  When the blackberries went on sale this week I couldn't help but make them.  I decided to adjust the recipe to incorporate some whole wheat flour since I'm always trying to use more whole wheat flour... I would have added flax seed too if I had any.

They were good!  The whole wheat flour made them a little bit dense but they were still very good.  I think next time I'd substitute the blackberries for blueberries because blackberries were a little too sour, and I'd sub orange for lemon because they would make it a little fresher.


Blackberry Orange Muffins

adapted from eat, live, run
makes 8 muffins (I halved the original recipe)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flower
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated orange zest
1 cup fresh blackberries (or berry of your choice..use frozen if you can’t find fresh!)
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 375.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, orange zest, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Gently add the blackberries and stir so that the berries are covered with flour. Set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, one by one, until thoroughly combined. Add the milk and blend.
Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and toss gently, being careful not to crush the berries. Scoop batter into 12 greased muffin tins granulated sugar over the tops.
Bake for 25-30 minutes until the tops are golden. Let cool for five minutes in the tins then pop out and cool completely.

No comments: